Monday, December 31, 2012

November - Time to Give Thanks

So I had the best race for the Woodrow Wilson Half, could I still finish the year with good weather and great races? I lobbied the girls in the neighborhood to join me in a local 5k/10k. It was the Sunday before T-day, rather then the day of, so that appealed to me. So myself and 2 others registered for the Vienna 10k.



They had super cute shirts and it was close by - what more could you ask for? Um.... a flat course. This race was adding the 10k for the first time on the 10th anniversary. As a result it was actually the 5k course twice. What I didn't know was that it was the hilliest course twice!



We were on neighborhood streets and it was a pretty small race by the time the 5k folks finished. I am pretty sure there was a running group of some kind running the race together and that those with 10k bibs ended up finishing after the first lap. Boo! It got pretty lonely after that. To the point that the radios were squawking about the last racers. I felt the need to make sure they knew there were actually TWO people behind me. I also was super glad there was a house along the way that was under construction and had a porta potty handy!

Overall the race was well run and it was fun to have the band kids on the course. I live in a pretty hilly neighborhood, but the hills definitely made me walk more then I planned. In the end, I finished in 1:20:49, a 2.5 minute PR.

No comments: