Thursday, February 7, 2013

Using the Internet for Motivation

So I talked about how I entered a Dietbet for a little push during the end of holiday food frenzy. While I wouldn't do that particular thing again - there are lots of ways to use the Internet to keep your motivation high.

One example is the Virtual 5 by 5th run series hosted by MommyRunFast



Essentially you are challenged to run a 5k or 5 miles in the first 5 days of the month. I thought, no problem. I run all the time! So for January I ran on new years eve - and it was 4 miles - doesn't count. (You all know how I like to be exact.) Facebook was full of folks posting their first day of the new year workouts and runs. So I got it together and hopped on the treadmill about 3 in the afternoon. Of course, I was on vacation, so I had all sorts of time.


This morning I get the reminder email from Laura - don't forget to add your time to the google spreadsheet! Hrm, I only had 1 run so far this month! My 3 mile run from yesterday was rescheduled to today due to my impromptu rest day on Monday. So I decided to ramp up my speed and see how it went. I did the whole 5k on 4.7, which is about a 12:45 minute mile. (I run so much faster - for a turtle- on "dry land" - but that is a topic for another time.) I clocked in at 39:28 and felt great. I played the mental game of just pushing myself just a little longer, just one more lap, just 3 more minutes. Other then 1 bathroom break, I didn't walk once. That was a cool 3 minutes faster then my treadmill time on the first of January - so I will take it!

I see this challenge as a way to keep exercise present in my thoughts and have a community that is out doing similar things. While it isn't as fun as meeting a group out for a run, I did compete against myself, push a little harder and came out victorious.

How is my resolution going?


I am feeling pretty good about that too!

How do you use technology or the Internet to motivate yourself?

1 comment:

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

Wow, 3 minutes faster? That is fantastic! Congrats! I'm glad you're enjoying the challenge. :)