Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Long Run Sunday

Today was my long run for the week. I needed to get 8 miles in, which takes me just under 2 hours. I had a very busy day ahead of me, so I knew I needed to get to it this morning. However, I had the worst night of sleep. I went to bed about midnight as usual, but then our daughter appeared in bed at some point, my husband was snoring up a storm and this morning my son came in to talk football. Ugh. Anyways, I just couldn't get going. I kept going over my schedule and what I needed to get done today, stressing myself out more and more as the minutes ticked by.

Finally I was able to get up and got on the treadmill after some toast with peanut butter. I had EIGHT miles to go. Why am I doing 8 miles on this January day? I am training for the Disney Princess half marathon in February. My long distance running trainer convinced me to sign up, before I knew it I had booked airline tickets and clicked submit. Laura's parent live close to me, so she pops into town and gives me that little push I need to go a little further, a little faster. She is working with a pacing group for Marathoners in Training in Columbus and I am slightly jealous of them. When she was here over Christmas we had an awesome Christmas eve run on a local trail and it was so fun to have someone chat my ear off as we clicked off the miles.

Any rate, I have my training plan all laid out and today said 8 miles. That is one thing I love about training plans, I just have to do what it says and the rest will come. I am a total list person, can you tell? (yes, I have even added something to a list so I could cross it off!)  I decided I wanted to run as much as I could, but still be smart about it. So I warmed up with a .5 mile walk, then ran 2 miles, repeated again. I fueled with some Skittles at mile 5. Then the last piece I alternated .25 walk with a 1 mile run. Mile 7 and 8 was spent negotiating the great balloon crisis of 2013, but I managed to get through it. 6 miles running, 2 miles walking. I listened to some Another Mother Runner podcasts that I wanted to catch up on.

The rest of the day I didn't feel very good and eating was not the most enjoyable. That hasn't happened in awhile, so I need to work on my sleep and food I think.

Had a little flashdance action going on today. Not sure what that was about.

After my meeting, I hustled over to the HS where my son was performing with the Pyramid Chorus. They were awesome!

Now time for the Biggest Loser. The first night is always so hard to watch. I can't imagine working out for 12 hours a day and then coming home and cooking!

Have an awesome day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey -- that's me! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!