Monday, January 7, 2013

Tracking, its all about the numbers

Today I finished my week of runs with the 2 miles that were on my schedule for yesterday. I was beat and stressed yesterday, so it was a good call to push it off. I have 8 scheduled for my long Sunday run. I  slept late, so was so thankful the my husband took the driving duties for TKD and swimming while I threw in some laundry and got downstairs. After my easy miles (when did 2 miles become easy??!) I foam rolled some. It feels good to get my muscles a little looser and I can tell the difference. I got my foam roller for Christmas, so this is a new trick I am adding to my toolbox.

Last time I talked about breaking down my goals into bite sized pieces. I am totally a numbers person. I spent a good part of spring/summer/fall running outside and had forgotten the comfort of having my numbers in front of me on the treadmill. I can always see where I am and can use my current time/distance to push myself just a little further. If I am at 3 miles, but 42 minutes, then I have to get to 45 minutes, then I am in the middle of a circuit on the loop on the display. I have to finish the loop right? I keep alternating until I get to my ultimate goal. I did this quite a bit last winter when I was alternating running and walking.

What is cool is that I didn't realize how much stronger I had gotten until I got back on the treadmill. I am now able to run 4 miles without walking. I slowed down my speed and was able to run further. It is such a good feeling to be able to run my whole workout! This area is pretty hilly, so I haven't replicated this feat outside yet, but I know if I keep at it, I will be able to. 14 races in 2012 and I am finally becoming a runner. Yea!!

So one of my habits is to list my workout and weight everyday. I know, I know, some people say you shouldn't weigh in everyday. I fully expect my weight to fluctuate each day, many days as much as a pound and I am ok with that. It doesn't bother me. In fact, I lose weight VERY slowly. Or at least I did this year. 6 lbs in all. It would have been more, but December was one huge orgy of cookies. I kept up with my workouts so it wasn't as bad as it might have been. Anyways, I digress, I make notes to myself and it is fun to be able to go back and look at the trends. I might have felt like I wasn't losing any weight at all, if I didn't have my little notebook.


Looking back at the year was what made me think I could run 750 miles this year. I have switched apps for tracking and never tracked my treadmill runs at the beginning of the year, so this little book is my stats. I have  about 2.5 years in here, and am getting to the end of the book.

what better way to celebrate a new year, then a new shiny notebook.


So exciting! Its like new school supplies! A fresh beginning. But its not really a beginning, because everything I have done up to this point is that makes this year possible. A foundation of sorts.

Time to relax by the fire and watch some football. Have a great week everyone!

No comments: